The Portsmouth program is designed as semi-independent with an emphasis on the individuals needs both now and future through the following goals:
Goal #1-to enable youth to successfully live independently.
- 1.1 Provide youth with necessary home based life skills (cooking, cleaning, home maintenance etc)
- 1.2 Teach youth appropriate organizational skills (scheduling, organizing the home, jobs etc)
- 1.3 Teach youth appropriate budgeting skills (paying bills, rent etc.)
- 1.4 Assist youth in obtaining a job (building a resume, job hunting, the application process, interviewing skills etc)
- 1.5 Assist youth with interpersonal communication skills to aid them in future potential living arrangements with roommates/housemates.
Goal #2-to assist youth in furthering their education
- 2.1 Assist youth with schooling preparation. This will include meeting with the school to ensure that the youth is on the right path. Also to assist with making changes to ensure successful readiness, and keep it in the youth's best interest.
- 2.2 work with previous placements to allow 2.1 to be successful; i.e. if previous placements have already established with the school the need for I.E.P's, regular placement meetings etc, then Portsmouth will continue to follow the plan set forth as long as it remains in the best interest of the youth.
- 2.3 to provide or obtain tutoring assistance when required.
- 2.4 attend meetings surrounding youth's post-secondary opportunities and assist youth in understanding the process. Where appropriate encourage youth to attend Focus based programs that suit the needs of the youth that will aid in their education.
Youth will have the opportunity to attain each of these goals through life lessons designed for each individual allowing each youth to design and drive their own success. As will all the Connor Homes Family, youth will also have regular access to a therapist with Quinte Counselling Services and will see this therapist 3 times per month.
Located on Portsmouth Ave. in Kingston, Ontario, the house is a 5 minute walk from St. Lawrence College, 10 minutes from a public high school including an alternative program, a 10 minute bus ride from Queen's University, and on a main bus route. Youth will have access to all the amenities that Kingston has to offer.
The house has 4 bedrooms, two bathrooms, two living room spaces and a large back yard.
Kingston also offers a great deal of extracurricular programming in the community, as well as a wonderful cultural diversity.
The House Parent
With life experience extended beyond a Child & Youth Worker education, the house parent has a unique perspective about assisting youth. With a love of the outdoors, photography, dogs, movies, and generally willing to try anything once, her kind and patient personality has assisted many youth in moving into the next stages of their lives and looks forward to continuing to do this at the Portsmouth home.